REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
High school graduate or equivalent and two (2) years related experience.
Laboratory Assistant, Laboratory Services provides technical skills necessary to perform sample processing within the division and may perform essential phlebotomy duties as assigned.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Performs weekly therapeutic phlebotomy procedure at alternating UTMB hospital campuses (Galveston and League City only).
- Performs the essential duties and competencies in all assignments necessary for phlebotomy or other clinical-related duties.
- Performs computer functions necessary for patient registration, blood collection, and specimen management.
- Determines acceptability of patient samples.
- Prepares, stores, and transfers samples for testing.
- Performs quality control procedures on equipment.
- Assists in maintaining records of inventory, maintenance, and daily quality control.
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines, apply problem-solving skills, meet deadlines, and meet urgent patient, provider, and system needs.
- May perform routine specimen collection procedures by venipuncture, skin puncture, or nasopharyngeal swab.
- Available to cover different shifts if requested to guarantee continuity of patient care services.
- Performs related duties as required.
This position will be scheduled to work 16 hours most weeks (no more than 19.75 hours per week).
Usual schedule will be Tuesdays 0700-1530 (rotating Galveston/League City), plus one additional shift.
Experience with whole blood/ plasma donor collection is strongly preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 73234 Apply