REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in a Clinical Laboratory Science or Basic Science with two (2) years related experience. Technologist level certification from either the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP), American Board of Medical Technology (AMT), or the American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI) or equivalent certification. Qualifies as Testing Personnel for high complexity testing under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA).
Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist, Laboratory Services provides administrative and technical skills necessary to organize, supervise, and complete various medical laboratory procedures within a section.
From $59,200 to $74,000 annually, Commensurate with experience
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for recruitment, hiring, payroll, orientation, training, supervision, evaluation, competency assessment, coaching, disciplinary action and/or termination process of divisional employees.
- Supervises the work of laboratory personnel engaged in performing routine and specialized technical procedures, including planning laboratory work, evaluating work performed and handling procedural and technical laboratory problems.
- Acts as lead worker, supervises, directs, plans, develops, implements, evaluates, and oversees the execution of daily operations including scheduling work assignments.
- Assists section leadership in developing protocols and procedures for the area, and reviews and updates existing procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring that the laboratory division functions with the appropriate level of staff to guarantee an efficient operation.
- Reviews and evaluates accuracy of lab data and reports patient results with all required documentation.
- Assists personnel with complex procedures, exercising independent judgment and responsibility.
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines, apply problem-solving skills, meet deadlines and meet urgent patient, provider, and system needs.
- Assists with Quality Management activities including but not limited to evaluating quality of reported test results, quality control and equipment maintenance procedures, proficiency testing and verifying appropriate documentation is maintained and corrective actions are implemented as necessary.
- Assists in evaluations of new tests or instruments, as assigned.
- Maintains inventory of reagents and other supplies including ordering supplies and monitoring expenditures and providing input for budget.
- Communicates pertinent information to staff members, management, medical directors, and other divisions.
- Serves as a liaison between departmental staff, management, and supervisory staff.
- Performs laboratory testing as required per division.
- Instructs and trains students.
- Available to cover different shifts if requested to guarantee patient care.
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with regulatory accreditation standards.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Adheres to all safety protocols in each laboratory area.
Preferred Work Experience
Must qualify as a general supervisor and have 5 years of experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 72804 Apply