REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
High school graduate or equivalent and two (2) years related experience.
Laboratory Assistant, Laboratory Services provides technical skills necessary to perform sample processing within the division and may perform essential phlebotomy duties as assigned.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Performs the essential duties and competencies in all assignments necessary for phlebotomy or other clinical related duties.
- Performs computer functions necessary for patient registration, blood collection, and specimen management.
- Determines acceptability of patient samples.
- Prepares, stores, and transfers samples for testing.
- Performs quality control procedures on equipment.
- Assists in maintaining records of inventory, maintenance, and daily quality control.
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines, apply problem-solving skills, meet deadlines and meet urgent patient, provider, and system needs.
- May perform blood collection procedures using skin puncture and venipuncture.
- May be required to utilize company vehicle for business purposes (i.e., specimen collection or delivery), after completion of required safety training.
- Reviews and suggests revisions for policies and procedures, as assigned.
- May provide training and assess competency for staff.
- Communicates pertinent information to staff members, management, medical directors and other divisions.
- Available to cover different shifts if requested to guarantee patient care.
- Adheres to all safety protocols in each laboratory area.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Performs related duties as required.
This position is for up to 19.99 hours per week, with no benefits.
Flexibility to adjust hours as needed and change job location as needed to fit the needs of the department. Possible schedule could include days/evenings/nights/weekends and working at any UTMB location as well as non-UTMB collection sites.
#ld #lmd01 #cls #cosg
Certified Phlebotomist from one of the following certification agencies:
- American Society of Clinical Pathologist (ASCP),
- American Certification Agency (ACA),
- American Medical Technologist (AMT),
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), or
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
Preferred Work Experience
2 or more years of laboratory or phlebotomy experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 71484 Apply