REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
High school graduate or equivalent and two (2) years related experience.
Laboratory Assistant, Laboratory Services provides technical skills necessary to perform sample processing within the division and may perform essential phlebotomy duties as assigned.
Specific Job Related Duties
• Performs the essential duties and competencies in all assignments necessary for phlebotomy or other clinical related duties.
• Performs computer functions necessary for patient registration, blood collection, and specimen management.
• Determines acceptability of patient samples.
• Prepares, stores, and transfers samples for testing.
• Performs quality control procedures on equipment.
• Assists in maintaining records of inventory, maintenance, and daily quality control.
• Ability to work independently within established guidelines, apply problem-solving skills, meet deadlines and meet urgent patient, provider, and system needs.
• May perform blood collection procedures using skin puncture and venipuncture.
• May be required to utilize company vehicle for business purposes (i.e., specimen collection or delivery), after completion of required safety training.
• Reviews and suggests revisions for policies and procedures, as assigned.
• May provide training and assess competency for staff.
• Communicates pertinent information to staff members, management, medical directors and other divisions.
• Available to cover different shifts if requested to guarantee patient care.
• Adheres to all safety protocols in each laboratory area.
• Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
• Performs related duties as required.
Preferred Work Experience
Experience working in a laboratory preferred.
- Work environment is located in a comfortable indoor area.
- Conditions such as noise, odors, cramped workspace and/or fumes could sometimes cause discomfort.
- Moderate to extreme physical effort may be required such as walking, standing and lifting materials, equipment, objects, and/or patients.
- Vision, hearing, talking, and sense of touch abilities must be adequate enough to enable one to quickly and accurately perform tasks such as: reading small print, reading from monitoring equipment, defining details, sending and receiving clear and accurate verbal communication.
- Frequent periods of concentrated or focused attention will be needed to interpret visual, auditory, and sensory inputs.
- Shift work may be required.
- Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to avoid injury.
- Standard laboratory and office equipment.
#ld #lmd01 #cls
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 69747 Apply