REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in related field. Certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathology as a Pathologists Assistant, PA (ASCP) or obtain certification within 6 months of hire, or Doctorate of Medicine.
Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Surgical Pathology Gross Room and Autopsy. Prepares, describes, and dissects human tissue. Supervises, organizes, and improves workflow, as well as communicate with staff, management, and senior leadership.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Communicates in a professional and courteous manner with medical and nursing personnel.
- Responsible for preparation of gross description, dissection and prosecting of human gross specimens, prepares frozen sections, electron microscopic sections, and specimens for clinical laboratory.
- Assure correct accessioning of all specimens, dictation, selection and submission of tissue sections for microscopic examination, preparation of tissue cassettes for automated processing, photographing gross specimens and completion of photomicroscopy duties.
- Responsible for compliance with regulatory accreditation standards. Will assist with presenting quality metrics at monthly meetings.
- Assists in quality metrics to improve the value of patient care.
- Reviews, revises, and updates policies and procedures in accordance with required regulatory, departmental, and university standards.
- Oversee maintenance of equipment, laboratory supplies and work areas.
- Coordinates, trains, orientates, and mentors new employees and trainees in new and established laboratory procedures and assesses staff for laboratory competency for their role in the Surgical Pathology and Autopsy.
- Communicates pertinent information to staff members, management, medical directors, and other divisions.
- Adhere to internal controls established for department.
- Perform related duties as required.
Current certification as a Pathologist Assistant by the ASCP preferred.
Preferred Work Experience
Preferred 5 or more years surgical pathology experience in an academic setting.
#ld #lmd01 #cls
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 69329 Apply