High school diploma or equivalent and one year related experience. Obtain Texas Community Health Worker certification from the Texas Department of State Health Services (TX DSHS) within 6 months of hire date, which must be kept current in accordance with TX DSHS standards. Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
The Community Health Worker (CHW) provides assistance in identifying and resolving basic health and social problems of UTMB Health patients and their families. The CHW is a resource for community resources and basic health information.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Interviews designated patients and/or groups of patients to identify health and social problems or unmet needs.
- Acts as a resource for basic health information and community resources and assists patients and families to access those resources.
- Communicates patient specific health status information to providers as needed and in accordance with the plan of care.
- Assists and educates patients with navigation of the health care system (i.e. scheduling and keeping appointments, translation, transportation arrangements, communicating with providers, etc.)
- Conducts regular visits (clinic or home) with patients in accordance with Community Health Program guidelines and the patients’ plan of care.
- Teach patients how to find and utilize community resources independently.
- Assist all health care providers involved in the patients care (RNs, NPs, PAs, RDs, MDs, etc.) in ensuring patient understanding and compliance with provider care plans.
- Teach patients how to manage chronic illnesses and resolve acute medical conditions through health education and patient empowerment.
- Reviews clinic and hospital procedures and regulations with patients and their families.
- Maintains accurate records of services provided and submits statistical reports as necessary.
- Adheres to internal controls established for department.
Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
Effective written and verbal communication skills
Knowledge of computers, software applications and mobile communication devices
#ld #lmd01 #cmgt
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 67267 Apply