Must be 18 Years of Age and posses a High school diploma or equivalent. After employment, successful completion of the 40 hour Basic Telecommunicator Course (#1013) and Crisis Communications Course (#2120) within one year as mandated by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.
To provide rapid response to law enforcement agencies or any other emergency needs and give directions, information, or other aid. A Telecommunicator is "a person acknowledged by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) and employed by or serving a law enforcement agency that performs law enforcement services on a 24-hour basis who receives, processes, and transmits public safety information and criminal justice data for the agency by using a base radio station on a public safety frequency regulated by the Federal Communications Commission or by another method of communication.”
Department Marketing Statement
Police Department Mission:
The University of Texas Medical Branch Police Department strives to provide protection and service in a courteous manner to the faculty, staff, students, patients, and visitors of UTMB in conformance with the Regents rules and Regulations, UTMB policies, or federal, state, or local laws and ordinances. The Department also implements programs that are aimed at preserving the assets of UTMB.
From $30,400.00 - To $45,600.00 Annually
Specific Job Related Duties
- Applicants for this position will be required to take the Entry Level 911 exam and pass with a score of 70 or better.
- Dispatch, speaking clearly and distinctly. Correctly type calls for service in CAD. Answer multi-phone lines clearly and distinctly. Perform simultaneously CAD/phones/alarms with accuracy. Monitor intrusion and fire alarms, criminal and data entry. Analyze situations quickly, accurately taking effective action.
- Dispatches officers by radio to situations, to include emergencies, requiring police response.
- Maintains records of incoming calls and police/patrol activities.
- Communicates with other emergency first response agencies (police, fire, ambulance).
- Operates various computer terminals including the Computer Aided Dispatch System.
- Completes appropriate reports.
- Adheres to internal controls established for department.
- Initiates the Emergency Notification System during emergency events and coordinates activities with Monitoring Services during hurricane or long term emergencies, as well as monitoring weather and other appropriate conditions during crisis and catastrophic events.
- Monitors, acknowledges and processes responses to door contact alarms, duress alarms, intrusion alarms, fire alarms, and video security feeds across campus and dispatches law enforcement officers or other emergency responders
- UTMB PD Police Department is a 24/7 full-service Police Agency and provides 24/7 Police Security Services to UTMB owned, rented, and leased property. Police staff are assigned to work varying shifts based on seniority to cover 24/7 Police Service Areas and shift periods.
- Police Telecommunicators must be willing to work assigned shift, which may include dayshift, evening-shift, or overnight midnight shifts, and be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
- This positions requires passing the following to work in a security sensitive environment.
- Entry Level 911 Exam with a score of 70 or better
- Drug Test
- Psychological test
Internal typing test with a score of 30 wpm or better
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 66989 Apply