A Master’s of Science degree in Nursing or related field Five (5) years of experience in leadership position over multiple units/departments
Holder of Texas nursing license or eligibility to apply for a Texas nursing license.
The Associate Chief Nursing Officer (ACNO), UTMB Health Clear Lake Campus reports to the Administrator, Clear Lake Campus and the System Chief Nursing and Patient Care Services Executive. The ACNO provides leadership and oversight for the practice of nursing at the Clear Lake Campus and for operations of the inpatient nursing units, telemetry, and emergency department of the Clear Lake Campus. Additionally, the ACNO is the key point of contact as the on-site manager for the OR and Cath Lab, in collaboration with the AVP, Perioperative Services and Director, Cardiac Services. The ACNO will establish goals, objectives, and standards of operation in concert with the Administrator, CLC and the System Chief Nursing and Patient Care Services Executive and will collaborate closely with the Associate Chief Medical Officer, UTMB Clear Lake Campus.
The position provides leadership and focus to assigned operational areas that integrate interdisciplinary physician and staff leaders and aligns them with the strategic goals of the Clear Lake Campus, the health system as well as the approved business and operating plans. As the ACNO, UTMB Health Clear Lake Campus, the person is responsible for patient care operations and the practice of nursing for the Clear Lake Campus, and works with the other hospital leaders to assure the standardization and optimization of nursing and patient care options across all campuses.
SCOPE: The ACNO, UTMB Health Clear Lake Campus responsibilities encompass nursing practice and patient care operations at the Clear Lake Campus
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP22.
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The ACNO, UTMB Health Clear Lake Campus performs his/her job by demonstrating technical ability, understanding of job expectations, and compliance with organizational policies and procedures by performing the following job responsibilities:
- Ensures that areas of responsibility are managed according to industry best practices, regulatory standards, Joint Commission standards, etc.
- Leads and participates in project management, health system interfaces, as well as internal and external relationships.
- Works in concert with the Associate CMO for the Clear Lake Campus, the Administrator, Clear Lake Campus, and the CEO, Clear Lake Campus to assure safe, effective, efficient patient care practices, patient throughput, and collaboration among the clinical team members.
CORE POSITION COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrates leadership and management skills to direct and guide others appropriately and serves as a resource and role model for staff.
- Challenges the status quo and continuously looks for improvement opportunities.
- Leads workgroups and committees as assigned utilizing skilled facilitation, project management and follow through to achieve results.
- Uses effective problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a high degree of professionalism and competence in dealing with multidisciplinary teams including physicians, administration and financial staff.
- Effectively balances individual departmental interests with the larger interest of patients and the organizational objectives.
- Develops and executes departmental operating plans that support the organizational operating plan and ensures results are achieved.
- Effectively partners with interprofessional staff to resolve problems and identify solutions in a collaborative context.
- Maintains a strong connection to front line staff to enhance employee engagement and ensure the management structure is supporting high quality care delivery. Maintain visibility to the nurse clinicians via rounding, shadowing and/or other vehicles.
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of operational performance of assigned departments. Ensures that the areas within his/her span of control are meeting and/or exceeding external benchmarks for performance.
- Creates operational goals and objectives for areas of responsibilities and implements strategies collaboratively with direct and indirect reports to achieve objectives.
- In collaboration with department managers and the rest of the senior leadership team for the Clear Lake Campus, develops and implements efforts to improve operational performance.
- Develops and/or implements appropriate institutional policies and procedures to enhance efficient and effective operations and delivery of services that assures engaged employees and satisfied patients, visitors and physicians.
- Ensures that the principles of patient and family center care are incorporated into the operations and seeks opportunities to bring the voice of the patient into service designs.
- Enhances operational effectiveness, emphasizing cost containment without jeopardizing patient care priorities, improvement, innovation or quality of care.
- Sets targets for improvements in quality, patient services, productivity, and cost management. Provides leadership to interprofessional teams responsible for all aspects of management of patient care services including planning, organizing, directing and evaluating programs and staff.
- Seeks opportunities to further integrate patient care service activities with overall UTMB Health clinical delivery system and administrative functions and departments.
- Ensures safe, high quality of care/service for areas of responsibility, which promotes patient-centeredness and engages patients.
- Leads new program/service development from an operational perspective.
- Contributes to the establishment of a learning environment which is conducive by providing educational and research experiences to students, residents, fellows, faculty and staff.
- Contributes to the institutional knowledge of the latest trends, practices and state-of-the-art technology as applicable to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Provides leadership in the development of nursing components of the electronic health record, including nursing documentation, clinical documentation, plan of care, etc.
- Remains abreast of advances in the areas of healthcare technology and information management systems, and evaluates the effect on nursing practice and patient care services. Incorporates developments into these areas, when practical and cost effective.
- Directs the design and establishment of appropriate management control procedures for nursing including records maintenance, authorization procedures and recurring reports. Review records and reports and, when necessary, initiate corrective actions, request special analyses and/or change control procedures.
Budget/ Resource Management
Capital Budget Control:
- Works collaboratively with Business and Finance leadership (AVP, Finance for Suburban Hospitals) to monitor capital expenditures against budget and regularly reconcile with purchasing and fiscal in areas of responsibility
- Participates in the development of a 5-year capital plan for the Clear Lake Campus
Operational Budget Control:
- Develops and implements mechanism to forecast, prepare and manage annual operational budgets in areas of responsibility including revenue and margin projections.
- Monitors and reports operational financial management by monthly analysis of actual versus budgeted operating margins. Identifies and executes plans to improve financial performance of the organization.
- Measures, monitors, and communicates finance and performance data against benchmark organizations. Initiates actions to improve performance based on benchmark results. Makes sure knowledge of resource availability is passed on to others to encourage learning opportunities.
- Creatively works at problem resolution by evaluating budgeted and non-budgeted approaches.
- Considers short and long-term effects of decisions.
Strategic/ Business and Program Planning
- Participates in the development and implementation of the long-range goals and objectives of nursing and of the UTMB Health Clear Lake Campus
- Develops and implements strategic plans for nursing at the Clear Lake Campus in collaboration with nursing leadership and monitors performance against plan goals.
- Participates in development implementation of strategic plans for UTMB Health Clear Lake Campus in collaboration with the Clear Lake Campus and Health System leadership and monitors performance against plan goals.
- With the rest of the Clear Lake Campus senior leadership team develops and facilitates consensus among clinical and medical staff of UTMB Health Clear Lake Campus for strategic and annual operating plans to achieve UTMB’s goals.
- Executes operationally focused tactics of business plans.
- Emphasizes evidence based practice, improved clinical outcomes, enhanced patient, care provider satisfaction and safety, and practice excellence.
- Develops a process to assure timely communications to stakeholders.
- Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; helps others successfully manage organizational change.
- Conveys confidence in employees' ability to be successful, especially at challenging new tasks.
.Quality & Process Improvement
- Effectively utilizes quality improvement data to drive improvement plans and guide decisions.
- Routinely reviews processes within area of responsibility and performance data to understand both what is working effectively and what opportunities for improvement exist.
- Assists in development of clinical protocols, where appropriate.
- Identifies and establishes initiatives for improving organizational performance in response to changes in the healthcare environment and operating structure, and from patient, physician and employee feedback. Routinely shares performance and quality data with stakeholders.
- Evaluates satisfaction data and utilizes the data to improve performance and change practices in areas of responsibility.
- Supports development of improved infrastructure to aid operational efficiency and access.
- Develops and/or implements institutional policies and procedures to enhance efficient and effective operations and delivery of services.
- Establishes strategies to engage and align physicians and staff in achieving collaborative goals to improve quality, safety, service and efficiency.
- Participates in Lean training and initiatives and utilizes this knowledge throughout areas of responsibility including actively promoting continuous improvement to others.
- Develops measurable standards to assess safe, timely, efficient, effective, equitable and patient-centered care; implements patient care service improvement plans and measures effectiveness of the patient care service improvement.
- Solves problems through critical evaluation of data-based information and continuous improvement efforts that lead to effective quality-based outcomes. Is expected to be able to accurately identify and diagnose an issue, identify alternatives, implement a plan, and evaluate and communicate results.
- Maintains a current working knowledge regarding Joint Commission standards, CMS Conditions of Participation, and other regulatory and accreditation agencies standards as applicable.
- Audits compliance against regulatory standards for departments, identifies risks, identifies appropriate internal controls for department, provides mechanisms to monitor and ensure compliance.
- Creates standards of excellence, builds and monitors commitment and sets an example for others to follow. Personally models UTMB Health’s values.
- Models, acknowledges, and rewards behaviors required to achieve UTMB Health’s mission.
- Takes responsibility and is accountable for performance. Is dependable; asks for assistance if needed. Seizes the opportunity to teach. Positively recognizes others for their contributions and does not place blame on other departments/areas when expectations are not met.
- Creates an atmosphere of teamwork. Volunteers to assist staff by “rolling up their sleeves.” Promotes positive relationships and helps others reach their goals.
Human Resources Management
- Oversees human resource management within area(s) of responsibility.
- Supports, counsels, develops, and ensures the completion of employee performance evaluations. Effectively provides all levels of human resource management including but not limited to; mentoring, supervising, and disciplinary action, rewards and recognition, and recruitment and retention.
- Conveys confidence in people’s competence to do their jobs. Recognizes and rewards good performance. Respects the time and work/life issues of others. Creates an environment that inspires people to excel.
- Ensures a nursing workforce model that will respond to the patient care services needs of UTMB. This plan will provide guidance and recommendations on matters related to resource utilization, recruitment, community outreach, retention, staff complement, competencies, professional practice, nursing education, and working conditions of nurses. Identify key recruitment sources and innovative recruitment strategies working closely with Human Resources.
- Assures that staff and managers are trained and competent.
- Continuously monitors staffing levels and adjusts as appropriate to meet various clinical care and financial objectives.
- Works collaboratively with managers, staff and physicians to interview, hire and orient all personnel.
- Develops formal and informal practice of mentoring and developing management for front line staff within area of responsibility and provides mentorship and professional development for direct reports.
- Develops formal and informal practice of recognizing and rewarding the excellent work of others including managers, staff, faculty and peers.
- Possess a working knowledge of staffing efficiency, turnover and vacancy rates and develops plans to improve metrics to meet organizational objectives.
- Maintains professional affiliations and enhances professional development to keep current in the latest healthcare trends and developments.
- Facilitates shared leadership structure and process maintaining a strong connection to nurse clinicians to enhance employee engagement and ensure support of high quality care delivery.
- Works with a wide variety of internal and external contacts, including members of the UTMB administration and employees at all levels of the Health System as well as employees and leaders in institutional support
- Creates timely, positive, and transparent communication channels with physicians, peers, and direct reports.
- Demonstrates clear and concise verbal and written communication skills that demonstrate a commitment to customer service and excellence.
- Ensures Relay Huddles and staff meetings are conducted and include information from the health system leadership meeting, information about patient safety, quality, patient satisfaction, financial performance and dedicated time for staff to discuss ideas/concerns about the work environment.
- Collaborates with all members of the nursing leadership team providing support for projects as assigned.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills with all whom he/she interacts including hospital staff, visitors, and most importantly, patients and their families.
- Leverages and enhances relationships through effective communication to internal and external constituencies including: staff, local and regional nursing organizations/associations, physicians, members of the executive leadership team, the academic communities, and the overall Health System.
- Incumbent must effectively send, receive, and respond to information ensuring a high level of patient care and service. Demonstrates respect and cooperative relationships in fulfilling the goals and mission of UTMB and this position.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- The level of achievement of strategic goals and objectives for professional excellence, operational departments and areas of responsibility.
- The level of integration into institution-wide operations for areas of responsibility.
- The achievement of budget/margin objectives.
- The achievement of goals within the Health System operating plan including areas such as; safety, effectiveness, efficiency, mortality, patient-centeredness, and equity. The level of incumbent participation and contribution to team activities for UTMB Health System executive leadership, patient care services and related work teams.
- The level of staff service, quality care, and satisfaction of patients, visitors, physicians.
- The level of employee satisfaction and engagement as reflected in consistent levels of staffing with low turnover rates, low rate of employee grievances, low level of employee injuries, and general tone of employee/employer relations.
- The level of success in development of business plans for new programs and new program implementation to achieve the planned outcomes of the business plan.
- The level of overall effectiveness and strength of the management team(s) for areas of responsibility as measured by various factors such as employee development, functional effectiveness, attendance at new employee orientation, completion of performance evaluations, and development and achievement of goals and objectives.
- The response of the nursing and patient care services team to various accreditation surveys, including The Joint Commission, CMS, and other regulatory bodies; maintaining continual state of survey readiness.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
- Quantitative knowledge necessary to analyze data and make informed decisions.
- Effective organizational, planning, controlling, scheduling and project management abilities.
- Effective leadership abilities including:
- Proven track record of initiating change and innovation
- Strategic thinking, planning and problem solving
- Developing goals and priorities
- Effective human resources abilities to affect collaborative alliances, promote teamwork, and to ensure a high level of internal and external patient, and nurse satisfaction
- Ability to function in a fast paced and changing environment with multiple priorities and objectives.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision and administration as applied to the management and direction of personnel within areas of accountability
- Effective managerial and administrative abilities as applied to the complex environment of an academic health center
PREFERRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- A Doctoral degree in nursing or a related field.
- Ten years of experience in leadership position encompassing multiple units/departments (generally director level)
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 66398 Apply