Ph. D, M.D, D.O., or D.V.M in related field and one year of related experience. Job Description: Conducts innovative scientific investigation by developing theories and devising scientific methods and procedures to apply scientific principles, theories and research in projects related to the mission of UTMB. Committed to the discovery of new innovative biomedical and health services knowledge leading to increasingly effective and accessible health care. Assures competence as a fully trained scientist in a specific discipline or area of expertise.
Specific Job Related Duties
The purpose of this position is to assist the Director of the Mass Spectrometry Facility (MSF) in the management, development and implementation of various sample preparation techniques and LC-/MS/MS techniques primarily for metabolomics analysis, and subsequent MS data interpretation. Experience with small molecule extraction and LCMS analysis is required. The UTMB Mass Spectrometry Core Facility provides fee-for-service access to advanced technologies in protein identification and characterization as well as on other macromolecules and small molecules through Liquid Chromatographic Mass Spectrometry (LCMS). Customers of the facility include faculty, staff and students from UTMB as well as external customers. The position will be part of a high-energy, cutting-edge Proteomics and Mass Spectrometry Facility team and requires the ability to participate in multi-disciplinary research in a collaborative setting.
The position will require performing sample preparation of small molecules from biological matrices (cells, tissues, serum, etc.) prior to MS analysis. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. In addition, the incumbent is required to keep a detailed laboratory notebook, contribute to general orderliness of the laboratory and support lab health and safety compliance. The incumbent will be required to write a variety of technical and/or project reports as well as document newly developed methods. The incumbent is expected to contribute to the preparation of publications and grant proposals.
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- Under general supervision, performs research assignments and experiments of moderate complexity.
- Lead method development to expand the MSF’s analytical capabilities
- Prepares biological assays and conducts quantitative and qualitative analysis of small molecules and metabolites by HPLC-MS.
- Perform regular Quality control checks on LC’s and MS, current inventory includes two Agilent 1260 LC’s and 3 Thermo 3000nano RSLC’s
- Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected and provides preliminary analysis of results.
- Orders consumables, parts and service as required to maintain the Facility.
- Maintains lab inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Makes modifications to research procedures as determined by Principal Investigator.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Operating instruments and assisting with calibration, troubleshooting and maintenance including providing quality control measurements on a variety of MS instruments. Current instrumentation for small molecule analysis includes: Sciex 6500 Qtrap, and Agilent 6460 QQQ. Other instruments include Thermo OT Fusion, Sciex 5600 Qtof, and 5800 MALDI Tof/Tof
- Analyzing complex qualitative/quantitative datasets through a variety of software packages (Multiquant, XCMS, Skyline, Ingenuity Pathway Analysis, etc).
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Req id: 65347 Apply