The University of Texas Medical Branch Surgical Technologist - OR Victory Lakes in Galveston, Texas
High school or equivalent.
Completion of a Surgical Technologist Program or completion of an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the Armed Services of the United States or in the United States Public Health Service.
Current certification as a surgical technologist, or obtain the certification within 6 months of employment.
The Surgical Technologist performs direct and indirect technical tasks for patients before, during, and after surgical interventions. Assists in surgical operations under the supervision of surgeons and registered nurses to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment is safe, that the equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Checks supplies and equipment for the surgical procedure.
- Sets sterile table with appropriate instruments, supplies, sterile drapes and solutions including medications needed on the sterile field.
- Scrubs in the prescribed manner and dons sterile gown and gloves
- Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants.
- Performs sponge, needle, and instrument counts, assist in positioning, skin preparation and draping of patient.
- Passes instruments required during surgery to the surgeon.
- Maintains the highest standard of sterile technique during the procedure.
- Assists with postoperative dressings. ¿ Clean and prepare surgical instruments for terminal sterilization.
- Assumes accountability in maintaining tray inventory after each surgical case.
- Helps transfer patients to and from the operating table to the stretcher.
- Assists in preparing the Surgical Operating Suite for the next operation.
- Follows processes that promote Surgical Operating Suite efficiency such as First Case Starts and Case Turnover times.
- Supports new programs and provides updates to the surgeon preference cards.
- Assists in training students and new employees.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Surgical Technologist - OR Victory Lakes
Job ID: 59593
Business Unit: VLAKE