The University of Texas Medical Branch Senior Communications Specialist - Marketing and Communications in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor's degree with minimum five years' experience in public relations, journalism or a related field.
Supports the university's strategic priorities by employing a broad range of communications and public relations skills, including writing, editing, presentations, still photography and video, social media and communications planning, to inform and engage internal and/or external audiences. Position includes direct communication with target audiences, as well as activities that facilitate communication by executives, programs and departments.
Department Marketing Statement
Marketing and Communications at the University of Texas Medical Branch advances the reputation of the state's first academic health science center and its programs of excellence in education, research and patient care. Our award-winning team includes professionals dedicated to strategic internal and corporate communication, brand management, digital communications and social media, marketing, and media relations. Our dynamic work environment provides abundant opportunities to learn and collaborate as we tell UTMB's story in support of its mission to improve health for the people of Texas and beyond.
The budgeted range for this position is $62,000 to $76,600, commensurate with experience.
Specific Job Related Duties
The Senior Communications Specialist--Internal and Corporate Communications will provide a broad range of services aimed at communicating effectively with UTMB's diverse employee population of 12,000 throughout Texas, as well as keeping key external constituencies informed about UTMB's mission, vision and accomplishments. Specific duties may include:
- Identifying and producing original, engaging stories that are consistent with UTMB priorities and message platforms, for use in internal print and electronic media
- Adapting internal/corporate communications content for use in external news media and marketing efforts, as appropriate
- Working effectively with Marketing and Communications colleagues on integrated communications projects to support the university's mission and goals
- Establishing and maintaining a network of professional relationships with faculty and staff sources throughout the institution
- Providing communications and presentation support to the President to reach internal and external audiences
- Proactively working with the team to identify employee concerns and topics that are important for the President to address, and recommending related communications strategies
- Ensuring scientific/medical information is translated appropriately for a general audience
- Assisting department leadership and source network in determining best communication strategy for specific projects, including creating related communication plans
- Helping to manage content for internal homepage and other web sites as needed; campus monitors; and social media
- Assisting with emergency communications, as appropriate
- Taking photographs for use in print, web and social media
Standard hours for this position are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The position is based on UTMB’s Galveston Campus. Occasional evening and weekend work, as well as occasional travel to other UTMB campuses/locations, may be required.
- Proven written and interpersonal communication skills
- Versatility in producing content for a variety of print and electronic channels, and a variety of audiences
- Proven ability to maintain productivity and professionalism in a dynamic work environment
- Strong interviewing and fact-finding skills
- Ability to work effectively and directly with people at all levels of the institution
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Independent planning and problem-solving skills
- Comfort with electronic media, including managing web content and social media presence
- High level of sensitivity to confidential information
- Familiarity with PowerPoint a plus
- Basic photography skills a plus
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Senior Communications Specialist - Marketing and Communications
Job ID: 60105
Business Unit: PRESD