The University of Texas Medical Branch Research Nurse II - Full Time SIVS Operations Research in Galveston, Texas
Min Qualifications Registered Nurse plus two years of professional nursing experience in direct patient care or research in approved specialty area. Licensed by the State of Texas to practice as a Registered Nurse. Job Description: Implements research protocols via study requirements within the University, independently and competently performs the nursing process, including assessment, planning, evaluation, and intervention; safeguards the rights and well being of the study participant; and provides general operational support and administrative duties related to clinical activities for research study. Salary Range
From $60,400.00 To $90,600.00 Annually
Specific Job Related Duties
JOB SUMMARY: Implements research protocols via study requirements within the University, independently and competently performs the nursing process, including assessment, planning, evaluation, and intervention; safeguards the rights and well being of the study participant; and provides general operational support and administrative duties related to clinical activities for research study.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coordinates the process of clinical research.
- Recruits, screens, enroll, and evaluate patients who participate in study.
- Conducts studies according to protocol and completes case report forms.
- Educates subjects on the details of the studies and ensures that clinical studies areconducted in accordance with the guidelines of the FDA and other regulating agencies.
- Obtains vital signs and performs phlebotomy; monitors participants labs; maintainstemperature and QC logs per protocol compliance.
- Serve as liaison between patients, PI, sponsors, and other health professionals andcommunicates information concerning patient needs and/or changes.
May assist with the following:
Developing the clinical trial agreement;
Answering IRB stipulations to obtain final approval; documents IRB approval andcontract approval.
Planning and design of source documents for protocol; coordinates study initiation;
Organizes and facilitates PI in obtaining Informed Consent from study participant anddocuments appropriately.
Completion of an initial patient assessment utilizing interview, observation, andexamination.
Performing competent physical, pathophysiological, psychosocial, cultural, spiritual,learning needs, and/or age-appropriate nursing assessment of participants.
Conducting in-service to floor nurses and physicians; serves as a resource to staff.
Identifying areas of health promotion and patient and family educational needsregarding treatment and follow-up on specific clinical research.
Completes accurate and concise documentation on all participant records in addition toother source documentation and forms per protocol including maintaining drug documentation.
- Identifies relevant data from internal and external sources and develops and maintainsproductive working relationship with study monitor.
- Ensures return of test article / clinical supplies; reconciles study drug accountability;assists in processing and shipping lab specimens efficiently and cost effectively; maintains supply inventory and equipment.
- Adheres to internal controls established for the department.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related duties as required.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/LOCATION OF POSITION:
- Work environment is located in a comfortable indoor area.
- Conditions such as noise, odors, cramped work space and/or fumes could sometimescause discomfort.
- Moderate to extreme physical effort may be required such as walking, standing and liftingmaterials, equipment, objects, and/or patients.
- Occasional lifting may be heavy and awkward, over 50 lbs.
- Vision, hearing, talking, and sense of touch abilities must be adequate to enable one toquickly and accurately perform tasks such as: reading small print, reading frommonitoring equipment, defining details, sending and receiving clear and accurate verbalcommunication.
- Frequent periods of concentrated or focused attention will be needed to interpret visual,auditory, and sensory inputs.
- Alternate shift work and/or on call status may be required.
- Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to avoid injury.
- May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable diseases, radiation,chemotherapeutic agents, and disoriented or combative patients.
- Attends and participates in campus coordinator workshops
- Prepares for certification exam after requirements are met
- Maintains licensures through continuing education (CEU)
- Basic PC skills, including word processing, report writing & e-mail skills
- Spanish language skills may be a plus
Good written and verbal English skills
Good organizational and time management skills
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Research Nurse II - Full Time SIVS Operations Research
Job ID: 60090
Business Unit: SOMED