The University of Texas Medical Branch Pharmacy Technologist - Center for Polar Medical Operations (CPMO), 6-9 month locum to work in ANTARCTICA in Galveston, Texas
Min Qualifications High school or equivalent and five years hospital/retail clinical experience. Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) National Certification. Current registration with any U.S. State's Board of Pharmacy as a Pharmacy Technician. Job Description: To assist medical staff in providing drug distribution, technical services, and clinical services associated with the preparations, storage, and dispensing of pharmaceuticals to United States Antarctic Program (USAP) participants. Specific Job Related Duties
- Maintains the operational integrity of an assigned departmental area.
- Retrieves and delivers medication orders and supplies.
- Prepares unit-dose medications specific to patient needs including patient’s weight, allergies and age.
- Performs medication order entry into the pharmacy computer system.
- Assists medical personnel in filling ambulatory prescriptions specific to patient needs including patient’s weight, allergies, and age.
- Performs quality assurance/improvement audits.
- Assists in record-keeping activities in any assigned area.
- Maintains adequate drug inventories in pharmacy area and patient care areas.
- Compounds bulk and extemporaneous pharmaceuticals specific to patients needs, including weight and age.
- Performs automated compounding repackaging and cart-fill.
- Prepares sterile products utilizing aseptic technique (to include the preparation, handling, and disposal of drugs).
- Reconciles pharmacy/nursing medication administration records.
- Communicates effectively with other healthcare professionals and patients while appropriately recognizing age.
- Engages in staff training and assessments.
- Maintains a neat clean and organized work area.
- Demonstrates flexibility in staffing assignments.
- Adheres to internal controls established for the department.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
- Worksite locations will be in remote hospital, clinical, laboratory, and/or office environment(s) at a USAP Research Station.
- May be exposed to extreme and harsh weather conditions in Antarctic work environment.
- International travel required.
- Conditions such as noise, odors, cramped workspace and/or fumes could sometimes cause discomfort.
- Moderate to extreme physical effort may be required such as walking, standing, and lifting materials, equipment, objects, and/or patients.
- Frequent lifting may be heavy and awkward, over 50 lbs.
- Vision, hearing, talking, and sense of touch abilities must be adequate enough to enable one to quickly and accurately perform tasks such as: reading small print, reading from monitoring equipment, defining details, sending and receiving clear and accurate verbal communication.
- Frequent periods of concentrated or focused attention will be needed to interpret visual, auditory, and sensory inputs.
- Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to avoid injury.
- May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable diseases, radiation, and disoriented or combative patients.
- May be required to be on standby and work extended shifts in situations deemed necessary.
Standard office and pharmaceutical equipment associated with remote locations within the USAP.
Contractual requirements with NSF’s USAP program may also include security clearances including a NACI at the minimum.
6-9 month locum to work in ANTARCTICA
#prof #polar #allied
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Pharmacy Technologist - Center for Polar Medical Operations (CPMO), 6-9 month locum to work in ANTARCTICA
Job ID: 61859
Business Unit: SOMED