The University of Texas Medical Branch Patient Services Specialist I - VL Surgery in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor's Degree and no experience or High School or equivalent and 2 years customer service and/or clerical experience. Job Description: The Patient Services Specialist I creates a positive patient experience by consistently exceeding expectations in customer service and patient care, by coordinating clerical and medical activities of a healthcare team, patient registration activities, and facilitating access to UTMB services for new and returning patients.
Specific Job Related Duties **
- Provides high level customer service in all interactions with internal and external customers.
- Provides direct, professional, and knowledgeable interactions with patients, physicians, referral sources, and the treatment team.
- Answers calls accurately and with exceptional customer service at all times.
- Ensures caller’s needs are met and accurate information is obtained.
- Ensures calls are documented and triaged appropriately ensuring patient satisfaction and patient safety. Completes telephone encounter process if appropriate.
- Acts as patient advocate and liaisons with various departments to meet mutual goals.
- Maintains patient confidentiality regarding access to patient and other clinical information via email, computer, fax and mail
- Addresses concerns of patients, provides service recovery, and escalates issues as needed
- Applies the policies of the clinical entity to schedule appointments.
- Coordinates financial counseling for day surgery
- Completes reminder calls to patients for scheduled appointments
- Educates patient/responsible parties regarding billing process and any additional financial responsibilities including third party benefits information.
Provides out-of pocket cost estimates to patients
Counsels patients about unpaid bills.
- Obtains future appointments at time of service for clinic follow-up, referrals, and ancillary services.
- Arrives patients and prepares paperwork/chart for visit.
- Appropriately receipts all monies collected, tokens distributed, and deferments authorized.
- Verifies, ensures eligibility, and pre-registers patients by obtaining patient demographics and third party coverage(s) at every encounter.
- Obtains and documents information required for third party reimbursement.
- Ensures compliance with Medicare and third party coverage.
- Communicates with patient, referral source, UTMB physician and clinical staff regarding any obstacle to access or authorization
Preferred Education **
*Bachelor Degree is preferred, applicanst with a Bachelors degree will be considered first*
Preferred Work Experience **
Preferred experience in surgical scheduling
Bachelors degree preferred as well
Closing Statement **
#surgical scheduler #PSS
Equal Employment Opportunity **
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Patient Services Specialist I - VL Surgery
Job ID: 59461
Business Unit: VLAKE