The University of Texas Medical Branch Equal Opportunity Investigator - Internal Investigations in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent and 1 year of related experience in Human Resources, Legal/Compliance or Higher Education.
Conducts protected class investigations to include, race, ethnicity, color, sex, national origin, age, U.S. military veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or mental or physical disability as well as general employee relations investigations, if necessary. Conducts fact finding investigations, which may include interviewing witnesses and reviewing documentation in compliance with applicable statutes and regulations. Prepares written reports and findings of facts, with supporting documentation.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Receive, review, and investigate allegations related to the University’s policies addressing non-discrimination, sexual harassment/misconduct, and retaliation.
- Receive, review and investigate allegations from students, faculty, staff, and third parties concerning unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment/misconducts, retaliation, and violations of labor/employment laws.
- Receive, review, and consult with Human Resources, appropriate departments, and leadership to appropriately respond to, and/or investigate allegations involving general employee relations concerns, bullying, hostile work environment and violations of employment, faculty, and/or student policies and procedures.
- Adhere to institutional grievance policies and procedures.
- Adhere to departmental procedures for conducting investigations.
- Prepare investigation plans and interview questions by analyzing the complaint, and identifying the issues, potential witnesses, and types of documentation to request/review.
- Conduct fact finding investigations, which may include interviewing witnesses, gathering and reviewing documentation, and researching relevant laws and/or institutional policies/procedures.
- Draft investigation reports with findings of fact.
- Work with Human Resources and appropriate leadership to provide recommendations based on investigation findings of fact.
- Organize and maintain investigative files, documentation, notes and all allegations submitted to the department for review.
- Ensure that all Fraud and Abuse Hotline allegations are appropriately triaged and reviewed by the appropriate department and upload resolutions through the appropriate database.
- Work with the investigative team and Title IX Coordinator to achieve departmental goals.
- Provide investigative support to colleagues as needed.
- Assist with developing investigation training programs for Human Resources Generalists throughout the institution and CMC Human Resources Generalists.
- Review, analyze and provide recommendations for previous investigations conducted by other investigators, departments, Human Resources, and CMC Human Resources.
- Assist with institutional reporting requirements in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Assist with developing, revising, and editing relevant institution and/or department policies and procedures.
- Consult with the Department of Legal Affairs as necessary.
- Adhere to internal controls and reporting structures.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Competent internal workplace investigator.
- Moderate knowledge of Human Resources and employment/labor laws.
- Knowledge of employment and higher education discrimination, sexual harassment/misconduct and retaliation laws and regulations.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to deal with difficult employees, faculty, students and third parties.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with ability to provide recommendations to Human Resources, departments, and leadership.
- Competent use of personal computers and general office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, and investigation databases.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects/investigations and prioritize work.
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Equal Opportunity Investigator - Internal Investigations
Job ID: 60469
Business Unit: PRESD