The University of Texas Medical Branch Environmental Protection Specialist - EHS in Galveston, Texas
* Bachelor's degree in an environmental, natural, or applied science, or related field required or equivalent and 1 year of related experience. Valid Texas Commercial Driver’s License required within 3 months of employment.*
. JOB DESCRIPTION: Provides professional knowledge and expertise in the operation and support of environmental safety programs in compliance with regulatory agencies, national guidelines and institutional practices.
Position is subject to DOT regulations which include drug and alcohol testing. Testing includes pre-employment, random, and for cause.
Specific Job Related Duties
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- Responsible for knowledge of hazardous waste rules and regulations on a local, state, and federal level.
- Performs customer service interaction and requests for management of hazardous waste disposal, related activities for packaging and shipping waste, and development of generator knowledge documentation.
- Produces required regulatory reports for hazardous waste program.
- Position required to obtain a hazardous waste operator certification within the first six months of employment (department pays for class and certification).
- Provides support for incidents involving response to hazardous materials and waste.
- Performs hazardous waste minimization assessments.
- Develops internal reports and recommendations.
- Provides hazardous materials technical support to EHS Programs.
- Meets internal and external federal, state, and local reporting requirements.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Environmental Certification Preferred ( CEP, NREP, CHMM )
Preferred Work Experience
- One year of Hazardous Materials Waste Management experience.
Must pass Basic Radiation Safety in the Laboratory exam for radioactive materials handling within the first six months of hire.
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Environmental Protection Specialist - EHS
Job ID: 60574
Business Unit: FACSV