The University of Texas Medical Branch Dentist - CPMO - Antarctica Support Contract in Galveston, Texas
Min Qualifications Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree, with a minimum of 5 years of practice experience, hold a current license to practice dentistry in the US or a recognized US territory and must hold current Drug Enforcement Agency controlled substance registration certificate. Job Description: Provides professional dental services related to diagnosis and treatment of United States Antarctic Program (USAP) participants. Services involve providing emergency direct dental care as well as providing professional and administrative management of station dental services, ensuring conformance with Health Services policies and procedures. May be required to provide dental services at multiple facilities to include McMurdo Station and South Pole Station. Works under the general direction of the Chief Medical Officer ¿ UTMB Center for Polar Medical Operations, with extensive latitude for the exercise of initiative and independent judgment. Specific Job Related Duties
- Provides emergency dental care to include both walk-in and scheduled appointments.
- Provides dental care as needed and consults with physicians and other healthcare staff providing dental care across all medical platforms within the USAP.
- Conducts training for physicians and other medical staff in managing common dental emergencies when there is no dentist on station.
- Provides routine cleaning and dental exams on a space available basis. Provides cleaning and dental exams for winter over participants before station closing, to minimize dental needs during the winter season.
- Takes dental x-rays and maintains x-ray equipment and systems.
- Inventories, maintains and reorders dental supplies. Coordinates for pharmaceutical support of dental needs. Recommends updates to formularies.
- Maintains dental equipment, including sterilization of instruments. Recommends upgrades or replacement of dental equipment or capabilities.
- Maintains and updates dental portion of the patient’s medical records. Coordinates with Chief Medical Officer and Galveston PQ office on any changes to a patient’s dental PQ status.
- Coordinates and participates in patient education programs and services on dental related topics.
- Handles medical records and other confidential matters in accordance with management policy and medical professional standards.
- Serves in rotation with other healthcare providers to provide after-hours and weekend patient care (when applicable).
- Cross trains as needed to assist in other clinic functions.
- Provides consultation guidance, and inservice education services to all medical personnel/platforms within the USAP.
- Oversees and manages all operations of the station’s medical department, assuring compliance with all applicable standards, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Collaborates with program leadership to develop, implement and monitor a data driven quality improvement plan and effectively compiles data for purposes of identifying opportunities for performance and process improvements and makes recommendations for change and quality improvement initiatives.
- Assists with the development, implementation, compliance and auditing of policies, procedures and protocols to ensure services meet regulatory / contractual compliance requirements with National Science Foundation(NSF) USAP guidelines.
- Serves as a liaison between internal and external healthcare providers, medical staff, and ancillary departments.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Performs a variety of marginal duties not listed, to be determined and assigned as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Dentist - CPMO - Antarctica Support Contract
Job ID: 60092
Business Unit: SOMED