The University of Texas Medical Branch Dean and Senior Vice President, School of Health Professions in Galveston, Texas
MD, PhD, EdD or other equivalent doctoral degree and 10 or more years of relevant experience ideally in a health professions school administrative capacity.
The Dean and Senior Vice President for the School of Health Professions sets a vision that continues the legacy of the School, supports its goals and helps faculty become nationally recognized experts in their field. The Dean is responsible for the overall administrative leadership for academic matters including new program development and approval; program quality; educational methods; regional and specialty accreditation; assessment and evaluation of students, faculty and programs; faculty and staff development; policy development; development of strategic partnerships for learning and professional development resources; provides leadership and administration for professional and graduate education programs serving the health needs of Texans, supports and sustains related research, encourages an ethic of community service and professional responsibility through service learning and educational outreach programs, monitoring of trends and implementing suitable changes all while providing effective leadership for planning, growth, and program improvement. The Dean must be an advocate of the School’s role in the University’s academic, teaching and research missions, advance the School’s initiatives within the University, and effectively articulate the School’s contributions and perspectives in local, regional, national and international forums related to health professions, healthcare and policy. The Dean leads the School to promote an environment conducive to multidisciplinary endeavors to advance innovative educational and research programs and to facilitate practice initiatives. The Dean also works to develop funding for the School.
Salary Range **
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Specific Job Related Duties **
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides leadership and oversight for the strategic planning and implementation of our key missions of education, research and professional service in the School of Health Professions.
Within the School of Health Professions:
- Recruit, appoint and serve as the reporting official for senior staff, Associate Deans, Assistant Deans, Division Directors, and Departmental Chairs in the School.
- Participates in the planning, coordination and reporting of meetings involving senior leaders within the institution.
- Organizes and leads planning and coordination meetings with the Associate and Assistant Deans, Chairs, and Division Directors within the School.
- Provides oversight for all fiscal planning and budgetary operations.
- Directs and coordinates the development and implementation of new degree programs.
- Maintains awareness of accreditation standards and fosters program compliance.
- Primary liaison with campus leaders responsible for student and faculty support, fiscal management, compliance reporting and university advancement.
- Attends meetings as needed outside of UTMB with UT System Office, Coordinating Board, and other universities.
- Fosters attention to important issues in diversity and cultural representation as reflected in student enrollment as well as faculty and staff hiring.
- May serve on graduate thesis committees, and conducts limited career counseling for faculty.
- Facilitates faculty appointments and promotions.
- Fosters an environment of excellence and shared governance.
- Engages in public relations and meetings and activities with alumni, the Houston/Galveston community, Development Board, and School External Advisory Council.
- Identifies appropriate internal controls; provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance.
- Performs related duties as requested.
- Assesses and implements initiatives to improve the graduate education programs of study.
- Personally publishes books, articles and/or abstracts in recognized scientific publications and encourages and mentors School leaders and their faculty to do the same.
- Plays a leadership role at the Federal, State and local level in effectively advocating for adequate funding for nursing education and research.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Vice President, Provost
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Ability to plan, organize, set and accomplish goals
- Ability to analyze/evaluate data and make appropriate recommendations
- Communication skills, both oral and written
- Presentation skills
- A demonstrated record of leadership ability and accomplishments
- Ability to develop and implement policies and procedures
Preferred Skill/Competency **
Significant experience in the following areas:
- Health professions education and education processes
- Faculty development and faculty governance
- Student admission and matriculation
- Curriculum planning and development
- Fiscal, resource and space planning, development and control
- Evidence of scholarly productivity
- Coordination of diverse groups and process skills
- Cultural diversity, arbitration and group process skills
Closing Statement **
Equal Employment Opportunity **
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Dean and Senior Vice President, School of Health Professions
Job ID: 59562
Business Unit: SHPRF