The University of Texas Medical Branch Construction Safety & Loss Prevention Manager in Galveston, Texas
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, natural, or applied science, or related field or equivalent and 5 years of work experience with construction safety.
Provides professional construction safety and risk management knowledge and expertise in support of UTMB Health construction projects to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies, national guidelines and institutional policies.
Specific Job Related Duties
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- Facilitates team development and team dynamics including empowerment.
- Provides input on and evaluation of construction projects safety hazards.
- Performs education and training on environmental and safety issues related to construction.
- Collaborates with contractor’s safety professionals to evaluate and implement safety programs.
- Monitors effectiveness of multidisciplinary problem resolution activities.
- Identifies problems or non-compliance issues. Knows, understands and identifies all areas of expertise needed to resolve problems and then coordinates a team of those with needed expertise.
- Monitors and takes actions on projects to ensure completion.
- Develops tracking mechanisms and reports to communicate construction safety performance
- Develops project tracking/implementation mechanisms
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure
- Performs related duties as required
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES:
- Serve UTMB project management teams, University of Texas System (UTS) Office of Risk Management (ORM), the insurance carriers, the designated Rolling Owner Controlled Insurance Program (ROCIP) administrator and all other relevant constituents to maximize the efficacy of the ROCIP for all parties.
- Review and provide feedback on the safety section of each Request for Quote (RFQ) and Request for Proposal (RFP) prior to contractor selection. Allows selection committee to be informed of safety performance strengths and deficiencies of bidders. Provide additional feedback as needed.
- Review for acceptance the required Project Safety Management Plan (PSMP) prior to issuance of NTP for Construction Services. Provide concurrence to the Owner’s Project Manager for the project. Plan must align with regulatory requirements, UTS requirements, existing conditions, and anticipated hazard(s).
- Review for acceptance, the qualifications of the General Contractor/Construction Manager’s (GC/CM’s) proposed Project Safety Coordinator (PSC) and Project Safety Assistant(s) (PSA) for each project. Provide concurrence to the Owner’s Project Manager for the project.
- Continuously monitor and review current safety practices, regulatory updates, and insurance trends to ensure UTMB construction safety process and ROCIP alignment.
- Maintains current content for the construction project ROCIP safety specifications and insurance specifications.
- Serve as the liaison between the UTMB project management team and the enrolled contractors, the insurance carriers, UTS ORM and the ROCIP administrator.
- Provide initial training with each project PSC regarding conducting and documenting daily project safety inspections.
- Perform periodic audits of documented SafetyNet inspections to ensure consistent application. Audits include: GC/CMR Safety Team, UTS Office of Facilities Planning & Construction (OFPC) and Campus Representatives, and Marsh/3rdParty ROCIP inspectors.
- Conduct monthly site visits of all active projects. Conduct and document periodic safety inspections and audits.
- Determine content and coordinate resources to develop and conduct periodic safety training for field personnel as requested or needed.
- Participate in multiple meetings with OFPC, Campus, and contractors to periodically review performance of the UTS Safety Process and recommend or coordinate activities or measures intended to bring continued value to the Safety and ROCIP programs.
- Review and provide comments regarding safe task planning for all tower crane erections and dismantles.
- Attends jobsite safety meetings and progress meetings as related to the ROCIP and UTMB Construction Safety program.
- Coordinate with UTS ORM and the designated ROCIP administrator to enroll projects in the ROCIP.
- Previous experience administering safety, loss prevention and claims management programs in the construction industry.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals.
- Associates in Risk Management (ARM) by the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (AIPCU) and the Insurance Institute of America (IIA).
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Construction Safety & Loss Prevention Manager
Job ID: 60302
Business Unit: FACSV