The University of Texas Medical Branch Nurse Clinician II Out Patient (Heart Failure Nurse) - Mainland Cardiology Clinic in Texas City, Texas
Registered Nurse (RN) with current license to practice professional nursing in Texas. Six months of full-time RN experience in providing nursing care to similar (in age and specialty) patient populations.
Competent Clinician. Possesses general knowledge base and skills that are expanding to incorporate specialty knowledge and skills. Independently and consistently provides safe and effective nursing care by applying age specific, developmentally and specialty appropriate clinical nursing knowledge and skills to ensure the safety and comfort of patients/families according to legal, institutional, and professional standards.
Specific Job Related Duties
Outpatient Coordination of care by an Outpatient HF Nurse must include the following:
- Position will require going to multiple clinics with the faculty.
- Work side by side with HF Cardiologists, NPs and Program Coordinator.
- Conduct day to day activities related to outpatient heart failure service/patients.
- Organize clinic schedule to reconcile appointments by removing appointment redundancies, and fill in gaps in clinic schedule.
- They will periodically screen clinic appointments beforehand to adjust slots according to need.
- Keep a log of all heart failure patients seen in clinic and be their direct contact person for a long term relationship. In addition, this will aide in developing a registry than can be used to keep track of outcomes.
- Nurse will interact multiple times during the day with the respective physician with regards to outpatient issues for patients who might need admission or to prevent a readmission, or any other issue at hand with regards to questions, medications, refills, etc
- Nurses will arrange for pre clinic blood work to improve clinic work flow and efficiency. In In this way, we will have the ability to adjust medications during the same clinic session rather than obtaining blood work after clinic and waiting for results the next day to act upon and subsequently trying to reach patient by phone to talk about results and plan adjustment.
- Heart Failure Nurses will follow up on blood work and other tests ordered (echo, stress, cath etc) on daily basis and report all major and critical values directly to physician and proceed with corrective action plan immediately.
- In collaboration with the faculty, HF nurse will help with outpatient medication changes according to our protocols for heart failure by being in direct contact with patients on frequent basis. This will eliminate the need for frequent patient visits just to titrate the medication dosage which will free up clinic slots that will be used to see new patients and referrals. This will also help improving patient care by having patient on high doses of medications sooner than would be if it was done only when seen in clinic.
Preferred Work Experience
Prefer cardiology or ambulatory experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Nurse Clinician II Out Patient (Heart Failure Nurse) - Mainland Cardiology Clinic
Job ID: 51997
Location: Texas City
Business Unit: CACLN