The University of Texas Medical Branch Technical Supervisor, Lab Services - Hematopathology in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor's degree with four (4) years related experience along with a Technologist level Certification from either the American society of Clinical Pathologist (ASCP) or the American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI). Must fulfill overall qualifications as a general supervisor under Clinical Laboratory Improvement.
Technical Supervisor, Laboratory Services supervises the day to day operations of a Clinical Laboratory Division or major function of a Clinical Laboratory. Possesses the administrative and technical skills to supervise personnel and coordinate operations, organize and improve workflow for the division, and communicate with staff, management, and senior leadership.
The salary range for this position is from $69,600 to $111,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
This is a pay Band Code PC22.
Specific Job Related Duties
The Technical Supervisor oversees day-to-day flow cytometry and special hematology operations for the department of Laboratory Services, including clinical flow cytometry testing focused on leukocyte subset enumeration and leukemia/lymphoma profiles, various test methods used in the detection of abnormal hemoglobin, bone marrow specimen collection and processing, and special hematological staining techniques.
This position requires advanced practical and theoretical skills to perform, evaluate, and determine the reliability of test results or procedures and an understanding of regulatory and accrediting agency requirements (e.g., CLIA ’88, JCAHO, CAP, OSHA) related to flow cytometry and special hematology.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reviews and evaluates reported test results, quality control records, maintenance records, and proficiency testing reports; ensures corrective action is performed as needed.
- Reviews, revises, and updates policies and procedures in accordance with required regulatory, departmental, and institutional standards
- Evaluates new test systems and performs method validation/verification studies
- Facilitates employee orientation, training, competency assessment, and continuing education
- Evaluates employee performance and provides positive employee feedback and coaching
- Resolves complex technical, computer, interdepartmental, and quality issues
- Ensures compliance with regulatory and accreditation standards
- Manages reagent and supply inventory
- Monitors key financial, quality, and efficiency indicators and recognizes opportunities for improvement
- Performs moderate and high complexity testing as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or Medical Technology
- ASCP Specialist in Hematology (SH) certification and/or ASCP Qualification in Cytometry (QCYM)
Preferred Work Experience
- 4 years experience working in a clinical laboratory, including at least one year in flow cytometry
- Medical Laboratory Scientist certification from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists - MLS(ASCP)
- 3 - 5 years experience in Flow Cytometric analysis of multi-color leukocyte subset enumeration, and leukemia/lymphoma immunophenotyping (hematological malignancies) in a clinical laboratory accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- 3 - 5 years experience performing highly complex hematological test methods, including detection of abnormal hemoglobins by HLPC and/or electrophoresis in a CAP accredited laboratory
- 2 years formal technical supervisory experience in a highly-complex, CAP accredited laboratory
- Proficient in test system validation and writing technical policies and procedures
#ld #lmd01 #allied #cls
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Technical Supervisor, Lab Services - Hematopathology
Job ID: 52969
Business Unit: HOSPT