The University of Texas Medical Branch Patient Access Specialist I - UTMB ENT Property in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor's degree or equivalent (High School or equivalent and two years customer service and/or clerical experience)
Represents the voice of UTMB. Creates a nurturing, competent and confident voice atmosphere for all callers to the Access Center. Is skillful in determining the callers need while maintaining a seamless atmosphere for the caller regardless of the need to navigate through multiple functions and departments.
The salary range for this position is $32,000/yr - $40,000/yr commensurate with experience.
The pay band for this position is CS13
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides high level customer service in all interactions with internal and external customers.
- Provides direct, professional, and knowledgeable interactions with patients, physicians, referral sources, and the treatment team.
- Answers calls accurately and with exceptional customer service at all times.
- Ensures caller’s needs are met and accurate information is obtained.
- Ensures calls are documented and triaged appropriately ensuring patient satisfaction and patient safety. Completes telephone encounter process if appropriate.
- Acts as patient advocate and liaisons with various departments to meet mutual goals.
- Maintains patient confidentiality regarding access to patient and other clinical information via email, computer, fax and mail.
- Addresses concerns of patients, provides service recovery, and escalates issues as needed.
- Applies the policies of the clinical entity to schedule appointments.
- Coordinates financial counseling for day surgery.
- Completes reminder calls to patients for scheduled appointments.
- Educates patient/responsible parties regarding billing process and any additional financial responsibilities including third party benefits information.
- Provides out-of pocket cost estimates to patients.
- Counsels patients about unpaid bills.
- Obtains future appointments at time of service for clinic follow-up, referrals, and ancillary services.
- Arrives patients and prepares paperwork/chart for visit.
- Appropriately receipts all monies collected, tokens distributed, and deferments authorized.
- Verifies, ensures eligibility, and pre-registers patients by obtaining patient demographics and third party coverage(s) at every encounter.
- Obtains and documents information required for third party reimbursement.
- Ensures compliance with Medicare and third party coverage.
- Communicates with patient, referral source, UTMB physician and clinical staff regarding any obstacle to access or authorization
- Fully dispositions each patient within the designated timeline.
- Adheres to internal controls established for department.
Position will rotate between Galveston and League City clinics.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Patient Access Specialist I - UTMB ENT Property
Job ID: 56560
Business Unit: CACLN