The University of Texas Medical Branch Patient Access Specialist - Access Center in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor's degree or equivalent (High School or equivalent and two years customer service and/or clerical experience)
Represents the voice of UTMB. Creates a nurturing, competent and confident voice atmosphere for all callers to the Access Center. Is skillful in determining the callers need while maintaining a seamless atmosphere for the caller regardless of the need to navigate through multiple functions and departments.
The salary range for this position is $30,960/yr - $46,440/yr commensurate with experience.
The pay band for this position is CS13
Specific Job Related Duties
Schedules appointments, dispositions patients, assists with healthcare options, handles insurance verification, educates patients of their financial obligations, files log documents, pages physicians and specialty clinics, takes messages, screens calls, serves as a patient advocate, performs related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides high level customer service skills for 24/7, 365 days a year Call Center.
- Answers high volume of calls while multi-tasking with available resources to schedule appointments and assist callers with their specific needs.
- Promotes positive and professional communication.
- Provides a professional and empathetic voice to the callers to nurture their needs.
- Analyzes caller concerns and determines best course of action to resolve and address their concern.
- Gateway to appointment scheduling for large numbers of UTMB clinics.
- Efficiently communicates callers request and determines the best solution.
- Able to cancel and reschedule based on patients’ needs and clinic guidelines.
- Escalates patient concerns and issues-utilizing defined processes.
- Able to preregister patients as required; obtains patient demographics and insurance information and updates as required to ensure most accurate information isfile.
- Works with Access center nursing staff to quickly identify and resolve urgent patient issues.
- Listens to and re-emphasizes caller concerns, ensuring accurate triages and effective communications.
- Facilitates physician consultation requests and assists with patient referrals when appropriate.
- Is knowledgeable and proficient in the use of AMCOM, EPIC, Invision, CECC and other software applications used to store and manage patient information and facilitate patient care.
- Utilizes several media applications in unison to resolve caller concerns and understands the purpose and proper use of each system.
- Enforces UTMB regulations and guidelines when utilizing the systems.
- Is knowledgeable of the entire institution, all clinical departments and resources, Locations, Contact information, Scheduling guidelines, Personnel resources, Area specific guidelines, Age specific guidelines, Disease process specific guidelines and Basic guidelines related to consumer health plans.
- Is knowledgeable and proficient in the scheduling process for all clinic areas.
- Understands the procedures for each clinic and educates the caller.
- Skilled at utilizing software applications for making appointments.
- Utilizes critical thinking to determine call priority to support nursing intervention.
- Enhances customer confidence by expediting callers concerns to appropriate individuals.
- Crucial to the facilitation of the consumer online appointment request system.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Patient Access Specialist - Access Center
Job ID: 53745
Business Unit: CACLN