The University of Texas Medical Branch Occupational Safety & Fire Prevention Tech ( PBL- Non Benefitted ) in Galveston, Texas
High School education and three years of related experience.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Provides basic technical assistance in the administration of policies, standards, and regulations relating to occupational safety and fire prevention under general supervision.
Commensurate with experience.
Specific Job Related Duties
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- Utilizing a UTMB emergency response vehicle, responds to fire alarm reports and investigates source of report. Works with GFD to make responses efficient and safe.
- Investigates close calls and any other fire-related incidents, completes applicable paper work.
- Performs Fire and Life Safety related inspections of work sites such as, but not limited to:
- Hot Work Permit verification
- Interim Life Safety Measures auditing
- Fire exit stair surveys
- Coordinates Life Safety and fire response activities with GFD, such as, but not limited to:
- GFD walk-through orientations of UTMB facilities
- Coordination of the design of fire lanes for GFD vehicles
- Coordinates notification of Fire Watch activities with GFD
- Adheres to internal policies/procedures and reporting structure
- Other duties as required
Specific Job Related Duties
_ *_JOB SUMMARY:_In this position, the successful candidate fulfills the role of “Duty Fire Marshal” (DFM). The DFM performs fire and Life Safety-related inspections of facilitates, performs incident investigations and responds to fire alarms as the first responder, coordinating responses with the Galveston Fire Department (GFD)._*
EQUIPMENT:Equipment used to inspect, test, monitor, or measure safe environmental levels; use of UTMB vehicles.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT:Standard hospital, clinical, laboratory and/or office environments. Will be required to audit active construction sites. Will be utilizing standard, personal protective equipment such as safety vest, safety glasses and hard hat. Potential exposure to hazardous conditions and/or materials. May involve strenuous activity such as walking, lifting, and moving of material. Position may be subject to DOT regulations which include drug and alcohol testing. Testing includes pre-employment, random and for cause. May be required to pass the "Basic Radiation Safety in the Laboratory" course within the first 6 months of employment.
Preferred Work Experience
Must be an active-duty Galveston Fire Department employee.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Casual (<=19.99, no schedule)
Job Title: Occupational Safety & Fire Prevention Tech ( PBL- Non Benefitted )
Job ID: 53396
Business Unit: FACSV