The University of Texas Medical Branch EHS Consultant - EHS-Biological & Chemical Safe in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor's degree in related field or applied science discipline and 7 years of related experience
JOB DESCRIPTION: Provides advanced professional knowledge and expertise to develop and support staff members within the Environmental Health and Safety Services programs of FOAM.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Specific Job Related Duties
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
Keeps current in the field of biosafety and immediately utilizes and applies new information fully.
Initiates laboratory audits to develop and ensure administrative and engineering controls are appropriate for the level of risk and design of the facility.
Develops others through assignments, formal training or other experiences - Assists staff with how answers are derived and overall professional growth.
Identifies problems or non-compliance issues. Knows, understands and identifies all areas of expertise needed to resolve problems and then coordinates a team of those with needed expertise.
Monitors and takes actions on projects to ensure completion.
Recommends and/or develops action plans for problem resolution.
Interprets rules, regulations, and guidelines with scientific knowledge and analytical methods to conclude appropriate decisions that may be considered innovative or leading edge.
Provides advanced professional knowledge and expertise to develop and support staff members within Environmental Health and Safety programs and the University community.
Recommends and/or develops action plans for problemresolution.
Constantly seeks opportunities for processimprovement.
Reviews proposed state and federal regulations and develops comments appropriate to UTMB to be conveyed to UTMB, UT Systems and regulatoryagencies.
Fosters a learningenvironment.
Acts as a Health and Safety advisor to non-safety relatedcommittees.
Coordinates and provides interface for multidisciplinary functions within EHS and across UTMB.
Adheres to internal controls and reportingstructure.
Performs related duties or other duties as assigned.
Preferred Work Experience
Background in biosafety aspects of:
- Master’s degree in Biology, Microbiology, or life sciences or equivalent and a minimum of 3 to 5 years of applied biosafety experience and is registered with the ABSA as RBP or CSBP.
- Working knowledge and experience with implementation of the 42 CFR 73 Select Agent regulations
- Working knowledge and experience with implementation of Institutional Biosafety Committees and the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules.
- Working knowledge of and experience with implementation of shipping regulations that pertain to biological material and international import/export regulations.
- Ability to work closely with occupational health professionals
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: EHS Consultant - EHS-Biological & Chemical Safe
Job ID: 56464
Business Unit: FACSV