The University of Texas Medical Branch Director, Professional Excellence - Nursing Service Administration (oversees Magnet Program) in Galveston, Texas
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Five (5) years of experience as a Magnet Program Director.
- A Master’s of Science degree in Nursing.
- Holder of Texas license or eligibility to apply for a Texas nursing license.
The Director of Professional Excellence reports to the Vice President of Patient Care Services and Chief Nursing Officer and is responsible for providing leadership and oversight for the Magnet Recognition Program including the following areas within nursing: magnet program management, nursing strategic planning, nursing interfaces within the health system, as well as internal and external communications. The Director of Professional Excellence is responsible for the practice of nursing excellence and assumes a key leadership role in sustaining the key concepts of the professional practice model and care delivery system across the health system, collaborating effectively with other members of the health care team. The position provides leadership and focus to the Magnet vision and concepts of the Magnet program and aligns them with the strategic goals for nursing.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP21.
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Director of Professional Excellence is directly responsible for the leadership of developing the infrastructure for nursing excellence and the outcomes of that infrastructure. Creating a culture of excellence is essential for the best patient, nursing workforce, organizational and consumer outcomes.
- Assumes a key leadership role in developing and sustaining the structure characteristic of a Magnet facility including transformational leadership, shared leadership, quality patient and nursing outcomes, availability of resources, professional practice models, evidence based practice, nursing research, and innovation.
- Ensures the resources for delivery of nursing services include practices that are safe and ethical, autonomous and evidence-based.
- Responsible for nursing strategic planning, project management, health system interfaces, as well as internal and external communications.
- Recommends, develops and implements new nursing program initiatives
- Ensures that patient services are of optimal value through influence on nursing quality and informatics, patient education, and nursing education, research, evidence based practice and innovation.
- Creates programs that enhance a healthy work environment including skilled communication, collaboration, effective decision making, meaningful recognition and authentic leadership.
- Ensures the patient and nursing workforce outcomes are dynamic, measureable, reported and monitors the performance compared to benchmarks at the unit, department, population or organizational level.
- Discharges these responsibilities consistent with the mission statement goals and objectives of The University of Texas Medical Branch.
A high degree of analytical ability and creativity are required to analyze and evaluate information and then develop specific work plans that achieve the goals and objectives of professional excellence.
CORE POSITION COMPETENCIES:
The Director of Professional Excellence performs his/her job by demonstrating technical ability, understanding of job expectations, and compliance with organizational policies and procedures. The Director of Professional Excellence performs the following job responsibilities:
- Demonstrates leadership and management skills to direct and guide others appropriately and serves as a resource and role model for staff.
- Challenges the status quo and continuously looks for improvement opportunities.
- Leads workgroups and committees as assigned utilizing skilled facilitation, project management and follow through to achieve results.
- Uses effective problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a high degree of professionalism and competence in dealing with multidisciplinary teams including physicians, administration and financial staff.
- Effectively balances individual departmental interests with the larger interest of patients and the organizational objectives.
- Develops and executes departmental operating plans that support the organizational operating plan and ensures results are achieved.
- Effectively partners with interprofessional staff to resolve problems and identify solutions in a collaborative context.
- Ensures the decisions and new process or program design incorporates the voice of the patient or customer.
- Maintains a visible connection to the nurses clinicians via rounding, shadowing and/or other vehicles.
- Ensures operating budget is planned and managed in support of achieving the overall financial objectives of the organization.
- Engages physician leaders, department administrators and staff in development of operating and capital budgets.
- Is knowledgeable about the details of the budget and considers how decisions impact the larger organization and ensures decisions support the overarching objectives of the organization.
- Proactively plans for capital replacement needs and demonstrates skill in developing a business case to support ongoing capital investments required.
- Develops credible business cases/plans for financial improvement, investment opportunities and additional FTE requests.
- Monitors revenue/expense budgets and takes appropriate action to ensure established targets are met (e.g. Action OI, revenue targets, etc.) with engagement of staff and physician leaders.
- Ensures appropriate information is gathered and transmitted in support of billing functions.
- Leads teams in preparing focused and comprehensive budget presentations, financial projections and benchmarking justifications.
- Participates in the selection and purchase of equipment, monitors status of equipment repairs and preventative maintenance, and monitors equipment malfunction and associated down time.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the long-range goals and objectives of nursing.
- Develops and implements strategic plans for nursing in collaboration with nursing leadership
- Emphasizes evidence based practice, improved clinical outcomes, enhanced patient, care provider satisfaction and safety, and practice excellence.
- Monitors performance against plan goals.
- Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
- Conveys confidence in employees' ability to be successful, especially at challenging new tasks.
Quality & Process Improvement
- Develops and executes plans related to quality improvement.
- Effectively utilizes quality improvement data to drive improvement plans and guide decisions.
- Routinely reviews processes within area of responsibility and performance data to understand both what is working effectively and what opportunities for improvement exist.
- Effectively engages others (managers, staff, faculty, peers) in quality improvement efforts of nursing in support of meeting the organizational objectives.
- Routinely shares performance and quality data with stakeholders.
- Ensures the voice of the patient is incorporated in quality improvement endeavors.
- Demonstrates competence in quality improvement methodology.
- Assists in development of clinical protocols.
- Maintains a current working knowledge regarding Joint Commission standards, CMS Conditions of Participation, and other regulatory and accreditation agencies standards as applicable.
- Audits compliance against regulatory standards for department, identifies risks, identifies appropriate internal controls for department, provides mechanisms to monitor and ensure compliance.
- Contributes to the establishment of a learning environment which is conducive by providing educational and research experiences to nursing leadership and staff.
- Identify the information needed to clarify or explain a situation, research the information from appropriate sources, and display information in a meaningful way.
- Contributes to the learning environment and promotes continuing education throughout the institution.
- Shares information, advice, and suggestions to help others to be more successful; provides effective coaching.
- Serve as a mentor to other nursing leaders and nurse clinicians.
- Contributes to professional body of knowledge through supporting evidence based practice, research, an innovation rich environment, and emphasizes dissemination of the organization’s findings to internal and external audiences.
- Creates standards of excellence, builds and monitors commitment and sets an example for others to follow. Personally models UTMB Health’s values.
- Models, acknowledges, and rewards behaviors required to achieve UTMB Health’s mission.
- Takes responsibility and is accountable for performance. Is dependable; asks for assistance if needed.
- Seizes the opportunity to teach.
- Positively recognizes others for their contributions and does not place blame on other departments/areas when expectations are not met.
- Creates an atmosphere of teamwork. Volunteers to assist staff by “rolling up their sleeves.” Promotes positive relationships and helps others reach their goals.
Human Resources Management
- Effectively provides all levels of human resource management including but not limited to; mentoring, supervising, and disciplinary action, rewards and recognition, and recruitment and retention.
- Assures that staff and managers are trained and competent.
- Defines all personnel requirements and position competencies for the service collaboratively with the Department Administrator and Physicians.
- Continuously monitors staffing levels and adjusts as appropriate to meet various clinical care and financial objectives.
- Works collaboratively with managers, staff and physicians to interview, hire and orient all personnel.
- Develops formal and informal practice of mentoring and developing management and front line staff within area of responsibility.
- Develops formal and informal practice of recognizing and rewarding the excellent work of others including managers, staff, faculty and peers.
- Possess a working knowledge of staffing efficiency, turnover and vacancy rates and develops plans to improve metrics to meet organizational objectives.
- In conjunction with Nursing Administration, Medical Staff office and School of Allied Health, is accountable for ensuring all clinical staff follow safe standards within their scope of practice and license.
- Maintains professional affiliations and enhances professional development to keep current in the latest healthcare trends and developments.
- Facilitates shared leadership structure and process maintaining a strong connection to nurse clinicians to enhance employee engagement and ensure support of high quality care delivery.
Conveys confidence in people’s competence to do their jobs. Recognizes and rewards good performance. Respects the time and work/life issues of others.
Creates an environment that inspires people to excel.
- Facilitate nursing’s educational agenda aimed toward advancing nursing education, specialty certifications
- Ensures student nursing and new to practice nurses experience the highest caliber preceptor and mentor experiences.
- Creates timely, positive, and transparent communication channels with physicians, peers, and direct reports.
- Demonstrates clear and concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Ensures Relay Huddles and staff meetings are conducted and include information from the health system leadership meeting, information about patient safety, quality, patient satisfaction, financial performance and dedicated time for staff to discuss ideas/concerns about the work environment. "Works with a wide variety of internal and external contacts, including all members of the UTMB administration and employees at all levels of the Health System.
- Collaborates with all members of the nursing leadership team providing support for projects as assigned.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills with all whom he/she interacts including hospital staff, visitors, and most importantly, patients and their families. All communications, written and verbal, should demonstrate a commitment to customer service and excellence.
- Demonstrates respect and cooperative relationships in fulfilling the goals and mission of UTMB and this position.
- Values accomplishments and shows enthusiasm and pride in nursing’s accomplishments and recognition..
- Demonstrates a commitment to courteous, sincere and sensitive customer service.
- Presents a positive and caring attitude in all interactions with patients, visitors, staff and physicians. Is patient, tolerant and accepting of diversity.
- Presents a positive image of himself/herself and of UTMB in all personal and telephone interactions.
- Leverages and enhances relationships through effective communication to internal and external constituencies including: staff, local and regional nursing organizations/associations, physicians, members of the executive leadership team, the academic communities, and the overall Health System.
Personal Professional Development
- Creates a plan for personal and professional growth and monitors such plan. Is an active learner and teacher. Demonstrates awareness of personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Seeks feedback and welcomes unsolicited feedback; modifies behaviors in light of feedback.
- Ensures development initiatives align with or exceed UTMB Health’s desired expectations and outcomes.
- The level of achievement of strategic goals and objectives for professional excellence
- The level of integration into institution-wide committees.
- The level of improvement in nurse sensitive indicators (falls with injury, pressure ulcer stage 2 and above, CAUTI and CLABSI).
- The level of nursing satisfaction and engagement as reflected in low turnover rates, nursing satisfaction, and nursing injuries.
- Maintain Magnet Recognition.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Broad knowledge of nursing, Magnet Program standards and systems, practices and principles.
- Quantitative knowledge necessary to analyze data and make informed decisions.
- Effective organizational, planning, controlling, scheduling and project management abilities:
- Effective leadership abilities
- Proven track record of initiating change and innovation
- Strategic thinking, planning and problem solving
- Developing goals and priorities
- Superior communication skills, both in writing and verbal presentations
- Ability to develop and analyze options, recommend solutions and solve issues and problems.
- Effective human resources abilities to affect collaborative alliances, promote teamwork, and to ensure a high level of internal and external patient, and nurse satisfaction.
- Ability to function in a fast paced and changing environment with multiple priorities and objectives.
KEY SUCCESS BEHAVIORS:
- Participates as a member of the UTMB Health System leadership, sharing mutual goals and a common mission. Will demonstrate respect and develop cooperative relationships in fulfilling the goals and mission of UTMB.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills with all whom he/she interacts, including hospital staff, physicians, visitors and, most importantly, patients and their families. All communications, written and oral, will demonstrate a commitment to customer service and excellence.
- Is committed to and performs quality work contributing to high quality patient care. Assumes responsibility for his or her own actions. Meets the challenges of a changing environment and is timely in meeting his/her responsibilities. Strives to provide excellent customer service. Values accomplishments and shows enthusiasm and pride in the organization. Demonstrates a self-directed work effort that confirms the ability to recognize personal strengths and weaknesses. Is expected to develop goals for professional growth and strive to achieve those goals.
- Is committed to courteous, sincere and sensitive customer service. Will present a positive and caring attitude in all interactions with patients, visitors, staff and physicians. Is patient, tolerant and accepting of diversity. Presents a positive image of himself/herself and of UTMB in all personal and telephone interactions.
- Demonstrates a commitment to quality and excellence. Problems are solved through critical evaluation of data and continuous improvement efforts that lead to high quality outcomes. Is expected to be able to accurately identify and diagnose an issue, identify alternatives, implement a plan, and evaluate and communicate results.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- A Doctoral degree in nursing or a related field.
#exec #nurse #top
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Director, Professional Excellence - Nursing Service Administration (oversees Magnet Program)
Job ID: 53732
Business Unit: NSGSV