The University of Texas Medical Branch Director of Purchasing in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or related field, and seven (7) years procurement related experience, with 5 years experience in supervisory position.
Provides direct leadership for the daily operations of Acquisition functions. Ensures the efficient acquisition for all supplies, materials, equipment, capital construction projects and services for the entire institution, in compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP21.
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Acts under delegated authority as Chief Purchasing Agent for UTMB.
- Provides technical and process based expertise in all aspects of Acquisition.
- Ability to manage staff of 3 managers and 28 acquisition specialists who process large volumes of contracts, purchase orders, and sourcing events.
- Expected to lead annual cost savings initiatives that contribute millions of dollars to margin improvements across all segment of the University.
- Provides expert support to institutional committees regarding purchasing matters.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Develops programs, policies and procedures to monitor supplier performance and fulfillment of contract obligations.
- Analyzes and recommends medium to long term process improvement plans to support institutional and departmental business strategies.
- Analyzes staff workload, process performance and realigns resources as needed..
- Collaborates with HUB department and supplier community to increase HUB spending on contracts.
- Assists in the design and execution of an effective system of internal controls with reasonable assurance that operations are effective and efficient, assets are safeguarded, financial information is reliable, and are in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Investigates and responds with corrective action plans to audit findings from internal or external reviews.
- Creates and monitors annual departmental and individual staff performance goals.
- Supervises staff including hiring, training, performance appraisal, and discipline up to and including termination.
- Oversees P-Card Program to insure compliance and effectiveness.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
- Prepares materials and delivers presentations internally and externally as required.
- Attends meetings, seminars and conferences as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of principals of business continuity planning and management.
- Thorough understanding of procurement and accounts payable regulations impacting UTMB and UT system.
- Good understanding of UT System Regents Rules, UT System Office of General Council guidelines, State of Texas procurement laws, and Federal procurement laws.
- Thorough understanding of internal customer acquisition requirements for coordinated response to emergency conditions.
- Knowledge of administrative planning, budgeting, supervision and management.
- Excellent communications and problem solving skills with a high degree of professionalism and competence in dealing with wide range of individuals.
- Knowledge of management principles; purchasing, accounts payable, supply management and contract management methodologies and techniques; computerized purchasing and accounts payable operations; various application software such as Microsoft Office and PeopleSoft E-Procurement
- Leadership, management, team building, and coaching skills.
- Customer service skills, written and verbal communications skills, interpersonal and employee development skills.
- Excellent negotiation and planning skills.
- Proven accomplishments in achieving significant cost savings and value creation in a large organization including but not limited to academic health system, hospital/healthcare system, GPO, or academic institution.
- Excellent knowledge of contract terms and experience working closely with legal services.
- Excellent knowledge of the value analysis process and project management.
- Excellent knowledge of healthcare and research supply base
- Excellent knowledge of “total cost of ownership” modeling for capital equipment purchases.
PREFERRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Master's degree in Business Administration and 10 years related experience in an academic healthcare setting. Must obtain either C.P.S.M., C.P.M., C.P.P.O, CTPM or an equivalent nationally recognized certification of professional credentials as deemed acceptable to UTMB.
Primary office location for this position is in Clear Lake, TX, and requires frequent travel to the main UTMB campus in Galveston, TX.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Director of Purchasing
Job ID: 52947
Business Unit: FACSV