The University of Texas Medical Branch Director, Decision Support in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field of study and 10 years of relevant work experience including prior supervisory experience.
Provides leadership and directs the day to day decision support activities of UTMB Institutional entities and functions including proforma development, service line reporting, payor reporting, cost accounting, activity based costing, integration of technical and professional revenues and expenses and other decision support activities. The individual filling this roll must have a broad and deep understanding of healthcare, academic and business operational financial management concepts. Works collaboratively with Clinical Enterprise, Academic Enterprise and Business and Finance Leadership across all campuses to establish effective decision support functions across UTMB.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP22.
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develops a modern and effective decision support infrastructure (people and technology) to support the decision support needs of the Clinical Enterprise, Academic Enterprise and Institutional Support.
- Responsible for the integrity of all decision support systems including development and maintenance of cost standards and net revenue modeling
- Partners with Information Technology to ensure feeder system interface and data load integrity
- Manages the preparation, analysis and distribution of service line financial statements and scorecards
- Manages the preparation, analysis and distribution of payor financial statements and scorecards
- Manages the integration of technical and professional revenues and expenses in EPSI for service line and payor reporting
- Manages the efficient retrieval and compilation of financial data and statistical information for decision support
- Prepares pro-formas in support of institutional business plan development
- Plan and coordinate quarterly financial performance reviews
- Maintain and communicate tools and processes to support margin improvement initiatives
- Provide ad-hoc reports and analysis to support monthly close, audits, surveys, indirect cost proposals and other institutional needs
- Assure monthly faculty commitment reconciliations are performed and corrective action is taken.
- Provide data analysis for new models of payment to support organizational population health management initiatives
- Develops activity based costing capabilities and skills within the department
- Develops strategies and plans to achieve long-term strategic financial objectives
- Advises leadership on current healthcare and academic industry trends and potential impact on the Enterprise.
- Supports Enterprise leadership, strategic workgroups and other committees
- Review financial information and identify developing trends that inform forecasts and management decision making
- Work closely with the Director of Budget and Analysis in establishing financial targets
- Provide data analysis to area level Financial Vice Presidents to support preparation of monthly performance narratives for inclusion in the Executive Financial Status Report and monthly financial reviews.
- Provide leadership in the utilization of technology and best practices to ensure continuous process improvement
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure
- Manages special projects as assigned
Administrative and Supervisory
- Provides direct leadership to a team of financial professionals through regular communication, active goal setting, and routine coaching and mentoring to model and promote behavior that aligns with UTMB’s Core Values
- Responsible for recruiting, training, development and evaluation of staff
- Organizes and plans work to ensure appropriate prioritization and timely deliverables
- Provides routine status updates and quickly escalate appropriate issues to leadership when necessary
- Ensures adequate internal control processes to safeguard assets
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure
- Hands-on management style with the ability to drive projects to closure
External Relations and Development
- Develops excellent working relationships with members of the Academic Enterprise and the Clinical Enterprise.
- Actively participates with Business and Finance colleagues in completing initiatives, goals and priorities
- Develops productive relationships with UTMB personnel across campus while accomplishing institutional objectives
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge of decision support, financial accounting, budgeting and BI systems and Microsoft Office
- Possess a strong understanding of financial statements and operations and the related financial relationships within a Health system and Academic Enterprise.
- Must have a sound working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, practices, and procedures
- Ability to analyze/evaluate data and make appropriate decisions/recommendations
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively work and communicate with individuals at all levels of the institution
- Strong organizational and planning skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Effective problem solving skills
- Hands-on management style with the ability to develop, prioritize and accomplish goals
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism
- CPA and/or Masters’ Degree in Business or related field is strongly preferred.
- Experience in Health Systems and Academic Medicine is desirable.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Director, Decision Support
Job ID: 52991
Business Unit: FINCE