The University of Texas Medical Branch Care Manager - Internal Medicine / Infectious Diseases in Galveston, Texas
RN with Bachelor's degree in Nursing and two years of inpatient experience in a hospital environment. Current license or valid permit to practice professional nursing in Texas.
To screen assigned patient populations and, as needed, assess, counsel, educate, and provide discharge planning and problem solving; to ensure continuity throughout the episode of care; to provide timely and valid information to multi-disciplinary team, physicians and nursing related to discharges and follow-up care of patients. Acts as an advocate for patients and coordinates and collaborates with medical team to provide quality, cost-effective care, and to promote positive patient outcomes for UTMB patients.
From $67,200 to $84,000 annually.
Band Code NS22
Specific Job Related Duties
- Screens and/or assesses patient and/or family to determine discharge needs, identify barriers and solutions to discharge.
- Coordinates patient care throughout the episode of care, ensuring that plans are communicated among medical team, nursing and ancillaries caring for patient.
- Plans and prioritizes daily the discharge needs of each patient assigned.
- Promotes timely discharges by monitoring patients' status in treatment plan of care, physician decisions and systemic barriers to treatment process.
- Documents appropriately on all care management activities in the medical record and Invision Care Management screens.
- Participates in activities that improve the quality and efficiency of patient care.
- Monitors all patients in observation status and communicates clearly with attending physician regarding decision to release or admit.
- Utilizes appropriate admission criteria, communicates with Utilization Review and the attending physician.
- Monitors delays in patient discharge at the completion of acute treatment when discharge orders are written, and documents activities to assist patients with timely discharge to lower level of care.
- Accountable for professional practice, including time management, clinical documentation, statistical and other record-keeping as needed. Reports as required to the appropriate Team Leader or designee.
- Maintains licensure, adheres to UTMB's standards of conduct/mission and vision, and professional code of ethics and standards of practice.
- Supports institutional and departmental CPI.
- Facilitates productivity, team-building, and high team morale in the department and medical service area.
- Respects the rights of co-workers.
- Consistently communicates and displays oneself in a professional and courteous manner.
- Practices and promotes the principles of patient confidentiality, including adhering to HIPAA guidelines on authorization and documentation of disclosures of protected health information (PHI)
- Prefer someone who is familar with the medical issues related to complications, medications and nutrition for immunocompromised patients
- Comfortable giving talks to groups of people on related topics
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Invision
Preferred Work Experience
- Prefer HIV clinic setting experience
- Previous experience with immunocompromised patients and familiar with community resources including regional agencies, State agencies and pharmacies in and around Galveston County
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Care Manager - Internal Medicine / Infectious Diseases
Job ID: 53140
Business Unit: SOMED